View Single Post
Old 02-15-2006, 06:37 PM
Don't Tread on Me

Steering coupling Completed!!

Just got done doing my steeringing coupling, took about 2 hours. I removed the steering wheel, the 2 hex socket bolts on coupling,, lossened the blinker screws and pulled out the blinker assembly until loose, then removed the big snap ring and the 4 bolts holding the shaft assembly to the steering column. I pulled the steering shaft up about 4 inches, Removed the rubber grommet that fits into the steering tube then pulled up on the coupler till the cone on the coupler inserted into the steering column. At that point the coupler cleared the steering box shaft. I removed the coupler thru the access hole in the car very easily. I inserted the new coupler thru the access hole from the inside, aligned it to the same position it came out and slid it onto the steering box shaft. At that point I reinserted the rubber grommet back into the steering column then wiggled down the steering shaft until in mated into the coupler, gave the shaft a few taps with a rubber mallet till it seated all the way in. Tightened the socket hex bolts, Installed the 4 bolts back into column, reinserted the snap ring, and reinstalled the firewall boot and steering wheel. All done. I checked to see if my blinkers turned off properly, this confirmed the alignment. DON'T EVEN CONSIDER REMOVING THE STEERING BOX as some suggest, that would have been extremely difficult to manuever and taken alot more time and effort, plus you'd really screw up the alignment for everything. Piece of cake pulling the shaft, the only way to go. My steering now has no play what so ever and the rest of the rebuilt front end feels great. Thanks for everyone that helped.

Last edited by 450slcguy; 02-16-2006 at 05:55 PM.