Thread: sprockets
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2006, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Carlton
From what I remember from Beagle, the sprockets will start to see accelerated wear when the pitch of the chain deviates from the pitch of the sprockets. This occurs when the chain elongated due to wear. The result is that all the torque load is concentrated in the first two or three sprocket teeth causing the teeth to wear at a much higher rate. The remaining teeth are unloaded and are simply accommodating the chain for the ride in a semicircle.

So, with a chain that has not worn excessively, the sprockets will probably last forever.
And vice versa???And what if one of the sprockets has already worn and left in there(just sharpened teeth,no damaged though).I guess the pitch of the sprocket doesn`t correspond to the pitch of a newly installed chain anymore? And it`s not the cam or crank one,it`s the injection timing device,number 142 on the pic:
http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb2.asp?TP=1&F=110104&M=621%2E918&CT=M&cat=020&SID=07&SGR=001&SGN=01

I don`t want to let anyone mess with it ...or maybe it`s not that difficult to R&R...