View Single Post
Old 02-16-2006, 09:47 AM
Diesel on the brain

Update on my 300TD Project

I've been working on the 300TD in my free time and have checked a few more things off of my list. I finally found a place that was able to get the lower radiator hose and not charge me $9 for shipping. During my normal travels I stopped at half a dozen parts stores and none of them had the lower hose. Most had the upper hose however. I bought an upper goodyear hose and it didn't fit, so I bought Gates hoses from the store that had the lower.

Note to self: close radiator drain before pouring in coolant.

I also worked on my melted fuse box. The replacement fuse holders arrived and I found a few terminal strips. The plan was to replace the melted stock fuse box with a blade style box, and use a terminal strip as the junction between the stock wiring (which has ring terminals) and the needed wire extensions to the new fuse box. I found some blade holders that were affordable and ordered them.

So far I have spent about 2 hours extending 8 of the 18 circuits. It is tedious just getting the wires connected, crimped, screwed down, etc. I have another hour invested in removing the stock fuse box, which is apparently 2nd after the heater core on the list of items installed at the factory.

Here is the test fit of the bracket:

The uneven spacing was intentional to allow better wire routing out of the fuse boxes.

Here is the first fuse box + 2 circuits wired in:

and the first terminal strips:

The brake booster is out so that I could replace the sway bar bushings. I could fit my finger in the old ones along side the sway bar. I have also done some rust repair under the battery tray.

Hopefully in the next day or so I'll finish up the wiring and test it out.

-Tad
2007 ML350