View Single Post
Old 02-16-2006, 07:32 PM
88Black560SL

I removed my left head at 100K miles and replaced a leaking head gasket. I did this succesfully without helicoiling. I also retorqued the right side. This was a very scary process since all of the headbolts on the right side torqued about 1/8 to 1/4 turn past the original starting point. My plan for helicoiling if I had to was to purchase a set of used junk heads and drill them out to make a drill guide. Otherwise the drill guide tool is $1600.00. I also toyed with the idea of making to single hole guides that I would move from hole to hole. One would have a 90° hole and the other would have the hole drilled at the proper 1.72° off of 90° angle.

As far as the head rebuild goes bring it to someone familiare with MB heads. Also I never recommend resurfacing an overhead cam head. There are people that can straighten them if they are warped. Resurfacing a warped head could leave you with a bound up cam shaft.

You will also want to replace your oil tube plastic fittings. At your milage since your chain replacement, while you have it apart re-do the chain and upper rails. Also every rubber vacume connector under the intake manifold.

John Roncallo