View Single Post
Old 02-17-2006, 10:57 AM

AC plan for 300TE 1992

Hi everybody
I know there are already plenty of AC threads. I tried to digest the information from them to come up with a plan for my car's AC. I'd appreciate it very much if you would comment on this approach.
My car's (1992 300TE 156kmiles) AC system stoped working about a month ago: the compressor just does not engage anymore.
The AC's performance has been degrading somewhat before that moment: At idle there was hardly any cold air coming from the vents. And there was a whining high pitch sound, a bit like a jet engine from the compressor whenever it was engaged.
The system is original and untouched.
I bought pressure gauges, two cans of R12 and a leak detector. So first I wanted to check whether the compressor stopped due to low pressure by bypassing the pressure shut-off. If that's the case, I planned to add the necessary amount of R12, assuming that it just leaked gradually over the last 12 years (there is residual pressure in the system, I hear "pss" when I open the schrader valves for a short moment). Then I would scan for leaks. If there is one I'll have the system evacuated. I'll then repair the leak (if it is not the evaporator) apply a strong vacuum to boil the moisture and recharge (of course with R12).
If the compressor is shot I'll probably need to evacuate and flush the system, install all necessary new components and recharge.
Does that sound like a good plan? BTW is it absolutely necessary for the compressor to run when topping off with additional refrigerant?
Many thanks, Bruno