View Single Post
Old 02-18-2006, 07:56 PM

Angry Bent the tranny filler tube now have a leak.

A few weeks ago in the process of pulling the tranny out of the 87 300D, I could not remove the allen head bolt from the filler tube. So I had to drop it down far enough so I could get at it with visegrips. In dropping the tranny down the tube got bent slightly. So last week when I got the tranny back from the shop I put everything back but the tube would not line up with the bolt hole at the back of the head. I tried bending it back to fit. I did manage to get it lined up. The next day I noticed a leak from that side of the tranny . So today I spent almost half the day pulling and rebending the tube on the bench and reinstalling the tube. I also managed to break the fastening collar from the tube at the bottom so I had to reweld it. I even tried different sealing compounds. No luck. The damn thing got tweeked enough that its now just too time consuming to try to fix it.
I guess now I have to bite the bullet and get a new one from the dealer. I'm just trying to fix this car right so I can get rid of it.

84 300D Turbodiesel 190K with 4 speed manual sold in 03/2012