View Single Post
Old 02-20-2006, 09:44 PM

Quote:
It does not go through it in any way. The reinforcements make the connection strong so the reciever does not get pulled off by the weight of the towing load.
Yes correct. The reciever part just butts up against the cross bar. You have 4 exposed edges to weld and then you can grind the top and bottom flat before you weld on the reinforcement plates and you end up with more reinforcement surface area than most stuff you would buy. Drill holes in your reinforcement plates to make a place to hang your chains on

Quote:
The cross bar is made by welding 2 pieces of angle iron together to make a long cube.
Actually no. The cross bar. is a square tube. There are a few things in the picture that are anomolies. Initially I used too thin of a walled cross tube. There was too much flex and I came back later and welded a piece of angle iron to it to reinforcement. This step shouldnt be necessary if your cross bar is thick to start with.

I posted the pic again with an explanation.
1. Ignore the weld bead you see here it is just from adding a extra reinforcement.
2. Another piece of angle iron. Ignore this, it was only necessary because of the original piece of square tube for the cross piece was too thin and I was trying to stiffen the rig up.
3. Not visable in the pic is a flat plate that the bumper bolts through.
4. Receiver section just butts up against cross bar.
5. Plates on top and bottom make it strong like an "I" beam

Also I have a hitch already made that I built for my old 116. Check if you have the 4 hole pattern or 3 hole pattern to bolt your bumper on and it may fit. The extra one I have is the 4 hole pattern.
Attached Thumbnails
Buying a trailer hitch for W123 300D-hitch3.jpg