Thread: What PS fluid
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2006, 10:56 AM
LarryBible

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokoloff
I have asked before and I really want to see some scientific fact that Dexron ATF is bad for your power steering unit. Unless I missed it, none of the past threads give anything other than personal opinion. The manual calls for it, the Mercedes 2004 Approved Factory Products booklet still approves it. I've been using it for the 24 years I've owned my 240D with nary a leak or problem. Not to doubt the naysayers, but is this a fact or is it based on one or two anecdotal trials? Does this fall into the same vein as the coolant discussions, synthetic oil, etc.? Please don't tell me to "use what you want - it's your car." I want to use the proper fluid, but I want to see the facts that speak to it.

Len
'83 240D 345,000 miles with ATF in the power steering
'99 E300TD 87,000 miles with PS fluid in the power steering
I'm just curious if you have ever stopped to think that your owners manual was written just before they put it in the glove compartment of your car? When they wrote it, they had no way of knowing that ATF would go through a drastic change in the coming years. That change occurred in the late eighties. As ATF morphed into what it is today, it became a formula that damages the power steering seals of that era.

If you have used Dexron long term and have no leaks, either you have some old Dexron on the shelf that you use, it has never been changed OR you should most DEFINITELY buy a lottery ticket or spend a weekend in Vegas. I have seen numerous pump shaft seals that were shot and shafts that were heavily grooved from running modern Mercon Dexron.

If you want the p/s system to remain leak free, the next time you flush and change, simply use p/s fluid from whatever store is nearby.

I've really found it difficult to understand why there are people who believe that power steering fluid is bad for a power steering system.

Now! IT'S YOUR CAR, USE WHAT YOU LIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!