Thread: Heat Shielding
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2006, 06:50 PM

Mine was toast and I was experiencing large amounts of grief everytime I walked back into house after piddling with the Benz...the red-head did not like those crumbs on her carpet!

I put the hood in the full upright posistion, used a old (I thought it was old...in more trouble now) bed sheet to lay over the engine and used a garden hoe to scrape off everything that was left of the old pad! Followed with a smaller scraper and a bit of wire brushing. Fold up the sheet carefully so you don't get that junk in your engine bay...I shook it in the yard (this was another bad mistake...use a trash can)....always stand and work upwind if possible.

It only took about 15 minutes to do the deed. However, I fear I will hear about bed sheet for the rest of my life!

I used the A/C duct board for a new hood liner...very easy, no glue. I cut mine large, trimmed to fit inside the side channels of hood and "bowed" it into place...it does not follow the contour of the hood, it runs straight across and creates a dead air space betwwen the board and the hood, which I think helps with sound deading.

If you want to get picky...draw a vertical line centered on the inside of the hood and a horizontal line centered....do the same thing on the fiberglass side of the duct board....take your hood dimensions from your hood marks and transfere to the duct board. This PITA method will give you a very well fitted hood pad...I went the more casual CBE (crude, but effective) method....eyeball, slice, dice, check fit, slice and dice untill you get what you want. It ain't rocket science, it's duct board.

It works, and it is much quieter....that a good thing!