View Single Post
Old 02-22-2006, 02:01 AM

I'll get pics

I'll have Brandon put some pics up. But it was another cold day. (started snowing) But Monday we got to putting the 300TDT back together. I'm not sure how many good pictures we got but we have a very good hypothesis why the turbo siezed up.

It was not completely siezed but was very very hard to turn. When we got the exhaust manifold and intake off we couldn't beleive what we saw. Well Brandon might have but I didn't.

The exhaust manifold was completely loaded up with rust and other grime. I think I got a couple pictures of it. It was enough for a handful or more just in the manifold. Who knows what is further down the pipe. ( Ohhhh man is that going to be fun to blow out POOF)

The intake was so covered in goo left over from the EGR I'm surpirsed it could breath at all. The Banjo bolt was completely filled and we burned a ton of the crap out from the inside. A few good Italian tune ups will have to do the rest .

The Turbo itself was just absolutely caked in crap. We put the propane torch on it and it just lit up with all the crap in there. DISGUSTING.

So this is our theory. It was litterally an old lady car. She must have driven as one for the 289K of the car. It changed hands to her grandkids or something like that right before it crapped out. Not really sure on the story. Anyway the guess is that someone finally stomped on the thing like it had been asking for for years and all that crap went on through the turbo and siezed it. That combined with the intake it was in need of some loving so they decided to park it. (Good thing or I wouldn't have it now )

The radiator is shot, needs a new window regulator for the passanger rear and new alternator bracket. Probably just a new alternator. Only has a 55amp will be putting a 65 amp on soon. The brushes on the old one are shot as well. I will be surprised if it works. But we got it all backtogether most of the filters and fluids changed (waiting to get it running before working on the PS and hydraulic systems. Ohhh and AC compressor is froze up.

Other than that she is looking good. Brandon if you read this can you post some pics Thank you

Edit: We got the valves adjusted too...pretty darn tight..probably hadn't been done in awhile
Sanford, NC

Last edited by Addicted; 02-22-2006 at 02:11 AM.