View Single Post
Old 02-27-2006, 02:48 AM

Talking Vacuum system leaks

Hi there, this seems to be a very common problem in the Merc cars due to the use of vacuum hoses to make things work when they could have been more advanced by using other stuff like switches, magnets, relays, small electric motors. My 1994 C180 had this problem, but it cost me more than A$1000 to have my indie sort things out. Noise gone, same old pump, only leaks under the dash fixed by changing 2 of the rubber/plastic vacuum open/close units. The rubber gaskets were worn and holed. This also caused some aircon circulation problems. Now, the rear headrests still work, but the aircon has started to pump only when I release the accelerator. On acceleration, the fan and compressor stalls, real crazy. My 1997 C180 has a similar problem with one of the headrests, but another indie took only a couple of hours and found the culprit( same little plastic socket with rubber bellow gasket inside) and changed it for free without having to remove the whole dashboard which was what cost all that money in labour time and some very cheap stuff like screws and washers and things that were lost or missplaced. Good luck in your search, now you know what to look for , so tell your indie or stealer what to look for, those items only cost about $15 each, not the $1000 vacuum pump they so eager to steal from you! Cheers!