View Single Post
Old 03-02-2006, 09:01 AM
Senior Benz fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Carlton
Sorry Russell. Totally false. (I've edited post #2 and post #4 to prevent false info for other members)

If you take the injector lines off, you can pump the primer pump 5000 times and no fuel will enter the injector lines. Furthermore, no air is introduced into the system, with the exception of the hard lines to the injectors.

So, the only thing that needs to be done is to get in the vehicle, glow it, press your right foot on the floor, and turn the key.

It will start in 12 seconds.

Also, you don't need to bother with cracking the injector lines. I've proven that it won't buy you anything. If you crack the lines, you get fuel at the injectors in 12 seconds. If you don't crack the lines, you start the engine in 12 seconds.

Another one of the stories that abound on this forum.......proven false.

If you crack open a delivery valve you CAN prime an air locked IP with the primer pump and purge the air in it. Trust me as I have done it. If you are not on level ground you almost have to do this as often as not. In the repeated IP removals when I was tweaking up my IP in my W116 I had to do this several times when it wouldn't self purge before runing down the battery. However with all the delivery valves in place you will not purge all the air from the IP with the primer pump....only some of it...you do move fuel through the IP when priming. However the air pocket you can have is above the path of fuel in the OM617.95X IP.

You are correct in that cracking an injector line will make no difference. And thats due to the delivery valves. If the element is below the fuel level it will clear itself...if its not then it won't deliver enough pressure to pop the delivery valve and purge.

I've been inside an IP enough times and have done this procedure over 10 times with as many as 15 times. It has air locked on me 6 of those times as my driveway is not level. You do have to be extra carefull to not overtorque the delivery valve or you will crack its sealing surface. Trust me as I did that and had to aquire a replacement from a fellow forum member to replace it.

On level ground you will rarely have to do this.
1983 300D W123
1975 Ironhead Sportster chopper
1987 GMC 3/4 ton 4X4 Diesel
1989 Honda Civic (Heavily modified)
---------------------
Section 609 MVAC Certified
---------------------
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Last edited by boneheaddoctor; 03-02-2006 at 09:12 AM.