View Single Post
Old 03-02-2006, 11:26 AM
Senior Benz fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Carlton
Actually, subsequent to my last post, a couple of members proved this false on their own vehicles. They could not get the engine to get fuel by simply cranking it. Cracking the injector lines allows the IP to provide fuel to the lines and purge the air.

The success of the procedure has nothing to do with the level of the element or the fuel. The pressure provided by the IP is about 100X greater than the static pressure of the fuel, therefore, the level is irrelevant. The capability of the IP to force air.........meaning the internal sealing of the elements..........would be the driving factor on whether it will purge the air without cracking the lines. Some folks have to crack the lines to get fuel to the injectors........some don't.
if its on a hill the fuel will remain level while the pump isn't...that can have the two higher end elements above the fuel level and therefore won't purge. Again as I said....this was on a hill. On level ground I would agree with your statement. I've ran my battery dead three times trying to purge the air on mine without getting it to hit on more than 2 cylinders which is not enough to keep it runing. When I pulled the highest delivery valve I was able to prime the systel to a level that all of the elements would see fuel. Once I figured that out I never had further problems.

It all depends on how level your workplace is. On level ground I would agree with you the IP would normally self purge itself of the air pocket. Its only on a hill that you would have sufficient air pocket at one end to really have this issue. (not a parking issue its just repriming an IP that was installed on a car sitting on a hill) And why I would recomend doing any work that involves IP replacement or the fuel lines to the IP be done on somewhat level ground.
1983 300D W123
1975 Ironhead Sportster chopper
1987 GMC 3/4 ton 4X4 Diesel
1989 Honda Civic (Heavily modified)
---------------------
Section 609 MVAC Certified
---------------------
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche