Thread: 300SDL AC woes
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2006, 07:25 AM

300SDL AC woes

I'm not going to tackle the AC system myself. I'm comfortable with that fact, but wish to understand as much as possible what I'm getting into.
I thought I was making cooler warm air, but....
I took it to an indy I trust as much as any and he says:

No electric to compressor.
Not enough refrigerant for compressor to run. I read in an earlier thread that in some models when the refrigerant leaks out, it takes the compressor oil with it, and ruins the compressor. Is that the design in the '87 300SDL?

After converting refrigerant and charging up, and direct wiring the compressor, it still will not start, probably bad compressor.
He wants more time for diagnosis, but predicts compressor replacement, and who knows what in the controls, possibly the relay, or maybe the control panel.

Says compressor vendor will only offer 12 month warranty if he replaces dryer, expansion valve(I think), various and sundry et ceteras, and looking at about $1000 for this work.

Good news is he thinks I have a real strong 603.
I feel good that it has only used 1/8 quart of oil in over 1500 miles since oil change. No drips.

So I'm inclind to go the full boat on repairs. I have to have AC.
Assuming a $1300 bill, that puts me about $8000 into an '87 300SDL with absolutely no rust, very good interior, good transmission, and a strong engine....
Gee, and I could have had that 99 minivan with 90,000 miles and captains chairs.....LOL

1987 300SDL
203,400 miles
How NOT to buy a MB Diesel:
Know little or nothing about diesels or Mercedes Benz.
Get the WVO fever.
Drive 70 miles to a used car lot in the country.
Buy the car without having it inspected, because it seems like a good idea at the time....
I'll be back. I'm gonna need help.
I love this car already!

1998 F-150 154,000 miles

1994 Geo Tracker 75,000 Miles