View Single Post
Old 08-12-2001, 08:45 PM
CheFrac is Back!
Lightbulb Kleen Dust Covers... Info & Questions...

I HATE the large doses of brake dust that glaze my beautiful alloy rims after washing my car (a short drive after). I seem to be compulsive about them, and I will wash them every other day. I think that if the rims begin to get dirty and dark, it brings down the whole clean appearance of the car.
I have read all archives regarding dust shields, and have finally ordered them. I ordered a pair (for the front) last night (Sat), with 2 day express, so I'm assuming they should be here on Wednesday.
Anyway, I have heard the stories about premature rotor warpage due to excess heat build up, etc. But my 1995 C-class has vents directly from the front bumper to the brakes, which were purposely designed to help cool the brakes. Without these vents, I do not think I would have ordered them. Another concern was blocking out the looks of the brakes on the inside of the wheels. But, I have the 8-spoke wheels, and decided it would not make THAT much of a difference:

(The picture is kind of a weird one... but it's the best pic of my rim that I have... and I can't get new ones because I lost my USB cord for the dig cam!)

Again, not the best picture, but the only one that I have to show the vents... and they do go DIRECTLY to the brakes. Sorry to be redudant, but their purpose is to cool the brakes, soley.

The vents on either corner (the holes) are where the air enters.

Don't have any other good pictures, but I think you get the idea.
When I have them installed, I will show pictures and repost an update. I'll let you know how it all goes. I will be extra careful, and be sure to spray up, in and behind the front wheels from under the car get as much brake dust out as possible every time I clean the car (1 X week). I also think I will remove them every few months or so to clean them.

Anyone have any thoughts or concerns? Open to ideas. Thanks buddies!!

(I'll keep you all posted.)
2006 E350 w/ 155k miles (Daily Driver)

1993 300E 3.2L Sedan w/ close to about 300k miles
2003 E500 Brilliant Silver (Had 217k miles when totalled!)
1989 300E with 289,000 miles (had for <1 yr while in HI)
03 CLK 500 cabrio (Mom's)
2006 C230k (Dad's)
1999 S420 (Mom's/Dad's)
2000 C230k Sport sedans
2001 CLK320 Cabrio (Mom's)
1995 C280 My First Mercedes-Benz... (155k miles. EXCEPTIONAL AUTOMOBILE. Was Very hard to let go of!)