View Single Post
Old 03-08-2006, 01:55 PM
Low Maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammertime
Gays in the Military...

I read a few weeks ago that a gay serviceman dies in the line of duty over in the desert. When his body arrives home, his hometown decides to have a memorial service and schedule a drive through town to honor him. On the day of the service here come some midwest religious zealots to PROTEST against him being gay, gay in the military, and get this, HE deserved to die for being gay... Imagine, a man of the cloth and his weakminded constituants are supposed to be spreading the word of what???...love, peace, tolerance ? ..and here they are in Tampa with signs and megaphones trying to destroy the surviving families' loving memory of their 20 something year old kid ??? Thank goodness a local biker chapter got wind of this and gathered up their members and they used their RIGHT to rev up their engines and drown out their words of hatered toward someone that was out in the desert PROTECTING those religious nuts right to even be there with signs ??

I figured I throw this little nugget out there and see if can get some thoughts on the issue.....
I'd be surprised if the serviceman in question was gay (not that gay servicemen aren't dying in Iraq, but I've never seen one identified as such). The jerkoffs you're referring to are Phelps's group: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_Hates_Fags

They aren't protesting gays in the military per se; they're saying that God hates America because America tolerates homosexuality, and that deaths in Iraq are due to God's feelings on the matter. It's sad they even get attention - these nuts are so far out of mainstream opinion of any kind they couldn't find their way back with GPS.

05 F650GS