View Single Post
Old 03-08-2006, 02:07 PM
just out there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtf
ahhh - now we're getting somewhere. Thanks for all the info, I'm beginning to understand. I didn't know 4 Lo is a separate gear.
More questions:

1 I am assuming that the torque split ratio is fixed once 4 wheel drive in engaged regardless of Hi or Lo position.

2 Also, the limited slip differential in the back would give either rear tire traction by putting torque to the tire with traction?

3 Is the front usually a dedicated drive wheel?

Sorry for the elementary questions but it is my first truck never mind 4 X 4. I should probably join the Yotatech forum!
1. not necessarily, depending on yout T case. my t-case is locked so i think the power is split close to evenly. if it's open then it's just like open diff.

2. that's how it works but i find that when i depress the brake lightly when "stuck" will engage the lsd.. otherwise the high torque makes the wheel with no traction spin like crazy.

3. not on my pathy. you can make it that way if you have manual locking hubs by just locking one of them. i have an open diff up front so it's mostly tire placement that get's me through and the rear push. would love to get that thing locked though or at least stick an lsd there.

as to your original Q:

4hi for wet, snowy, loose surface driving. if you cen go 40mph then you don't need to be in 4 at all
4lo - bad snow, mud, rocks, very steep inclines. stuck. if you can go 20mph, you don't need to be in 4lo.

lowering tire pressure (10-20psi) in off road circumstances does wonders.

RedMeat cartoon