View Single Post
Old 03-08-2006, 05:03 PM
Dieseldiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelazzarusman
Thanks to all who responded to my "I've been had" post. The vehicle's A/C has been repaired succesfully and will go into the dealership tomorrow for the trapox recall, when I can hopefully get all my necessary engine repairs done at little or no cost under the recall

I do have a question about the nature of my coolant burning, if for nothing but a better understanding of the process. The car burns coolant, that's established; however, there is no mixing of engine oil in the coolant reservoir. I suspect there may be coolant in the engine oil, but not vice-versa. Also, although she chugs white smoke sometimes at idle, one she is above the low RPMs, she is smooth and powerful, with no smoke. Most importantly, while I was driving her (which was not long, thanks to my suspicions and your advice!), she NEVER got over 100 C.

Would these symptoms indicate a simple headgasket failure, or an entire block failure? If it's a block failure, why no overheating and the smooth operation above the lower RPMs? This is all quite fascinating to me, which mitigates my anger about being duped in the first place.

Any and all replies appreciated!

DL
It could be a headgasket, that would be the best thing possible. If not its the head.
read about the cracked head syndrome. The block is not involved unless its a new, never seen b4 problem. Coolant under pressure gets from a cooling passageway into the cylinder
A pressure check with the head off the engine is probably necessary but at that time one can likely see the head gasket and the head and decide which is the culprit