Thread: need your help
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2006, 10:26 AM

Larry Bible makes some sound points as usual. I want to add my perspective having been there as well.Sometimes it is wise to look at the overall situation. Too much driving plus the time incurred to accomplish it plus the inherrent risk factor are just a few items that have to be examined as well. Sometimes if a long term situation is envisioned it is better to move. Once years ago I switched employers for more money. The trade off was the excess comuting that eventually got on my back plus the true cost per mile of operating a vehicle that much. But the real turnoff was the loss of all that time five days a week. Sold my house and moved closer to job eventually. Not everyones solution of course and not possible in some situations but is an avenue to explore. The price fuel costs is nowhere near your true cost of all that driving but actually only a very small percentage. A lot of guys land up old eventually and cannot comprehend why they have no money. They had it but unknowingly disposed of it by not really understanding the true costs of the things they do.. But like myself if you drive that way long enough you will probably witness some accidents. Just hope you are not in one of them yourself. I once have had a car pass me on it's roof. Another went in the median and emerged broadside in front of me when I was doing 70 or so. Just missed him by good circumstance more than by any other factor. Scary stuff. There were lesser incidences. If you must drive high milage long term do the real overall math. Most memorial for me were driving through white outs about every two years or so. They left an imprint on my mind that I wish was not there. A reallly good white out once in a lifetime is more than anyone should want to start with. You might even find religious beliefs again before you get out of the other side. To be fair though you probably have to have been in one to understand and thats only if you live. Just remember do not stop as the guy behind you will probably get you then theres the problem as well if someone has stopped in front of you. You will never see him at all before impact. Plus the added issue that it does not have to snowing to have a white out. If it is not snowing around you or snow is not blowing but you see that senario in front of you and it looks like heavy fog. Pull over and stop until you identify what it is. You can drive right up to the leading edge usually in good weather by the way. That is unless you feel comforatable driving in a giant cotton ball with the only external refference being feeling the gravel edge of the road by tire noise differential and praying that someone in there is not stopped or a pile up exists ahead of you. . You really cannot even see the front of your hood. This is excess though as you may live in a region it does not even snow. Perhaps I should not have gone into it this much but they are some of my life experiences that perhaps a another person could reflect upon and be smarter than I was.

Last edited by barry123400; 03-09-2006 at 10:52 AM.