View Single Post
Old 08-13-2001, 01:48 PM
Cool Poor Fuel mileage in 190 2.3

Having just recently purchased my first Mercedes, 1986 190e 2.3, I was not really sure of what kind of gas mileage to expect. After reading numerous posts on this board, I feel that my mileage is kind of low. Most of my driving is in town, stop and go. Very little open road 55+mph driving, more like 25-35. The best gas mileage that I have been able to get is about 14mpg. I do run 93 octane fuel. I kind of drive with a heavy foot at times, but I was hoping for a little better mpg. My Tahoe was driven the same way, and got the same gas mileage as I get now! The car has 119,000 miles on it. The cap and rotor were recently changed, the plug wires look fairly new, the platinum plugs don't look that bad, clean air filter. I feel like I have checked most of the possible culprits, and I am still at a loss of why the gas mileage is so low. On a possibly related note, when I got the car, it was a very hard cold start until I figured out the fuse on the OVP relay was blown, I replaced the fuse and it starts easier now, but still has a rough idle until it hits 80 celsius. I apologize for the lengthy message, but I am really hoping that someone could point me in the right direction of what I need to check next. Being new to the Mercedes way of doing things, I have checked all that I know how to do.