View Single Post
Old 03-13-2006, 10:06 AM

I replaced the lower oil cooler line on my 83 300D. U do not need to undo the motor mount, just unscrew the lower motor mount bolt.

1) Drain engine oil.
2) unscrew both ends of the cooler line. Be ready to collect any oil in the cooler line that will flow out
3) The cooler line is held at 2 points - at the compressor and near the motor mount. If memory serves me correctly, there r 2 bolts (13mm) that hold the lower bracket that holds the cooler line near the motor mount. This L shape bracket has to come off or u will not have enough room to snake the oil cooler line in.
4) Unscrew the bottom bolt of the motor mount.
5) I used a 2" x 8" piece of wood that was a bigger than the oil pan ( about 2" excess on all sides. place that under the oil pan. It has to be centered on the oil pan. Place ur jack under the wood, at the center of the oil pan. Lift the jack until the car is about 2 inches at the motor mount (near cooler lines). Then snake the oil cooler line out, coming out from the top, front, near the oil cooler. If u need a little more room, carefully jackup a little. Snaking in cooler line is the reverse.
6) Button up is reverse.
7) Watch the oil level when filling up engine oil. It takes more than the norm - Can't remember but could be 8.5 liters. Pour the usual seven and then pour in the rest in stages, checking the dip stick. Start the car for a couple of seconds, switch off and check the oil level, just play it safe.
8) U should be done in about 2 hrs or less, factoring a beer and sandwich break.