View Single Post
Old 03-13-2006, 08:07 PM
General Purpose Geek

I'm very certain that many things on newer cars are completely superior. You example of wind noise - I'd hate to guess how many BRAND NEW 70's cars I saw ON THE SHOWROOM FLOOR with panel gap problems. Real eyesores! This is because the "craftsmen" at the factory neglected to set the fenders and doors in their 1" long slots properly, or maybe the sheetmetal was just flat wrong and the word was to "ship it". These days, the tolerances are so good from computer assisted design and manufacturing that things are more likely to "just fit right" the first time with very little or no adjusting.

Compare the following "low end" cars from the 70's to now:

Pinto - Focus
Vega - Aero or Cavalier

No comparison!

A real luxury car of the 70's probably had so much labor content that very, very few could afford it today.

Porsche at one time bragged about how many hours it took for their craftsmen to get the convertible top on a 911 "just right". I don't think that this was anything to brag about. It would be better to brag "our top fits just as well as or maybe even better than a Porsche's, except that we can do it in 20 minutes due to superior design and processes, delivering better value to the customer".
Daily Driver Project

http://juliepalooza.8m.com/sl/mercedes.htm