View Single Post
Old 03-14-2006, 06:13 PM
Annelid wrangler

'Male' version of Roe vs. Wade pending

A Saginaw, MI man is drawing national attention Thursday afternoon for filing a controversial lawsuit in federal court.

Matt Dubay, 25 says in the event of an unwanted pregnancy, men should be able to opt out of paying child support.

It's being called the male version of Roe vs. Wade. The man at the center of the lawsuit, Matt Dubay, contends that the court ordering him to pay child support violates his constitutional rights.

And there's no doubt that it's beginning to spark a major nationwide debate.

Dubay's argument stems from his ex-girlfriend, Lauren Wells, who he says told him that due to a medical condition, she was unable to have children.

That was fine with Dubay, who says he had no interest in becoming a father at the time. Wells ended up pregnant. And Dubay ended up with a $500 a month child-support bill.

"I do feel like I was blindsided by this woman," Dubay said. "She is now making me pay for a child when she knew up front that I was not ready to be a parent at the time."

"He chose that risk and everybody knows where babies come from," Wells said.

Dubay is being backed by the National Center for Men. They say it's unfair that women have more legal rights in the event of an unintended pregnancy.

Dubay's attorney filed the suit Thursday in a federal courtroom in Detroit.

The National Center for Men said they see the suit as a long shot, but Dubay's attorney sees it differently.

Dubay's ex-girlfriend has now been advised by her lawyer not to comment on the issue. Dubay has been in meetings all day since the suit was filed.