View Single Post
Old 03-16-2006, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTangas
Tracy,

Find yourself a S&W Model 18. It is a .22 revolver, size and weight nearly identical to a Model 19 .357. In fact, it was designed as the training weapon for the Model 19 when the PD's started upgrading from .38 Special. While it won't be the same size/weight as the .41 or .44 N-Frame Smith, it will be close enough for Government work.

I would suggest both guns be a barrel length of 4 inches. You don't need to spend all day drawing a Dirty Harry sized anchor when you need it ASAP. Spend a lot of time practicing with the .22 and when you get proficient break out the N-Frame and practice your butt off with .44 Special ammo before graduating to the real stuff, .44 Magnum. That is unless you opt for a Model 57 or 58 in .41 Magnum. Great guns but they lack the ability to shoot light loads like you can with the .44 (Special v. Magnum).

I personally carry a 4" Model 57 .41 Mag anytime I am out hunting. Always for close up and personal protection, plus the possibilty of taking a deer with a handgun, should the opportunity present itself.

Also, strongly suggest you stick with a wheel gun. Auto loaders can get finicky when you need them most, and you don't want to spend time with immediate action drills when you really need the gun to go bang. With the wheelgun you simply pull the trigger again.
werd.