Thread: Leaking turbo?
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2006, 08:41 PM
I LOVE BRUNETTES

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Carlton
Do you have an idea of the total number of turns in the ALDA and where the factory position might be in that total number?

I cranked it first to max once I removed the lil protective cap, as the SD is maxed and doesn't smoke at idle when hot. So I figured, what the hell... and maxed it too. The intake manifold was off at the same time as I threw in some new glow plugs.

Since it's 2.5 CW off the max, it still smokes a bit. I'd say maybe 1 full turn CCW would be okay from the stock position. One of the members on here I speak to on AIM often did his when replacing the rest of the glow plugs on his SDL. It did not require much of a turn. FWIW - my SD is the CA Emission of '84 for the '85 year so the pump could be leaner in stock form. I know the boost is low too at 8psi only.

The method I use is to loosen the 4, 5, and 6 IP lines at the IP and injector with a 14mm. Then loosen the lock nut (10mm) and use a piece of about 2" x 3/8" thin metal. What tool I made is from an old hack-saw blade. Simply adjust accordingly. Takes about 10min tops.

'85 300SD 245k
'87 300SDL 251k
'90 300SEL 326k

Six others from BMW, GM, and Ford.

Liberty will not descend to a people; a people must raise themselves to liberty.
[/IMG]