View Single Post
Old 03-16-2006, 09:08 PM

GROW UP, learn to read more than just headlines:

I find it interesting that the sum total of your post, ericnguyen, that is original is the 20 word heading and initial comment.

When will people in this country grow up and learn to discern fact from conjecture and opinion in news media stories?

1. An example: to quote from your post: "The debt limit increase is an unhappy necessity -- the alternative would be a disastrous first-ever default on U.S. obligations..."

What does the word, "unhappy" have to do with fact? That is conjecture on the part of the person writing the post, whoever it was.

2. ["disastrous first-ever default"] implies that US debt obligations have never been defaulted or come this close to default, which is patently untrue. US Treasury bonds have been in big trouble a few times in our country's history. Not just close to default, but actually in default. (They've always been bailed out)

3. ["When it comes to deficits, this president owns all the records," said Minority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nevada.] The senate and house must approve ALL expenditures proposed by the President, unless provided for under the war powers act.

4. [At present, foreign countries, central banks and other institutions hold more than one-fourth of the debt, but that percentage is growing rapidly.] The 'growing rapidly' statement is conjecture. How do you know the percentage is growing rapidly? Does it matter that the percentage is growing rapidly? By what criteria do you define rapidly?

5. [But Gregg's measure re-ignites last year's battle over allowing oil drilling in Alaska's Arctic National Wildlife Refuge, since it would let Senate leaders bring an ANWR drilling measure to the floor under rules blocking a filibuster by opponents.] What on earth does drilling for oil in the Arctic have to do with the national debt ceiling? Nothing at all, but it's something to tac on to the story that must be important to some one.

All of this is not to post my approval for our government's spending habits, or to suggest that one parties fools are better than another's.

You people better wise up when it comes to slurping down the lies and conjecture and opinion that is spewing forth from the national news media - I don't care if its FOX news, CBS the NY Times or whatever source, they all do this kind of thing.

YOU MUST READ CRITICALLY! Many elected leaders count on the fact that you won't read critically - you even hear them say things like "take my word for it..." when looking to get reelected. That's a joke.

They think we're stupid.
11 GLK 350 So far, so good
08 E350 4matic, Love it.
99 E320 too rusted, sold
87 260E Donated to Newgate School
www.Newgateschool.org - check it out.
12 Ford Escape, sold, forgotten
87 300D, sold, what a mistake
06 Passat 2.0T, PITA, sold

Las Vegas NV