View Single Post
Old 03-17-2006, 02:24 AM
Renaissances Dude

Well if Drudge says so, must be true.

I have sorta extensive connections to both cities. I was raised in the Mormom church. My great-great-great-grandfather pulled a handcart across the plains to join the faithful in Salt Lake City. My dad was a Jack Mormon (thank God), that is a member who is still on the membership rolls but could not give a S***. Several years after his death, my mother married an alfalfa farmer and restauranteur from Utah and they live near Salt Lake as do my sister and her husband who can be seen on TV singing in the Tabernacle choir (?!?).

On top of that, I lived in Seattle from about '74 to '94.

There are worse ways to grow up than in the Mormon church. Good community spirit, lot of activities for young'uns. OTOH, they believe, fervently, that they are the ONLY true church on earth and they regularly reinforce this opinion with each other.

My mother's sister's family is WAY Mormon, they had 4 daughters and 17 grandkids. One of her daughters married a guy who'd had 5 children in a previous marriage and went on to have 5 more with my cousin. One of his daughters from his first marriage killed herself when she was 21. Not saying it's his fault, but the guy is spreading himself kinda thin -- I don't imagine he had room for much quality time with her.

Lot of nice people in the Mormon church, and a lot of them have rose colored glasses super-glued on and the smell of cotton candy on their breath.

But, as you say, there's going to be more and more of 'em at this rate.