View Single Post
Old 03-17-2006, 08:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxland
One of the things I can see to warrant such a response was if this was slander against a male teacher implying he had sex with a student.

Something like that, even if it is just a rumor, can, has, and will, ruin teachers for the rest of his (or her lately, I guess) life. It is taken so seriously, and rightfully so, that the mere accusation is a pink slip waiting to happen.
Teachers have been jailed for having sex with under-aged students. They usually get fired if the student is of age. Both of those policies I agree with. A teacher is always in a position of power over the student and it is the teachers responsibility NOT to take advantage of that power.

Given all of that, if the teacher is innocent he has been badly slandered and it could put him in legal jeopardy. He has every right to go after the student.

But I wonder whether the school has a right to intervene. Would it be better for the institution to slam the student or for the teacher to lawyer-up and sue the student and his parents for slander. Or is it libel?

B