I went thru the whole evaluation thing on this model a few months back, and had a couple of dealerships looking for one for me (I wound up buying my my brothers 98 C230, 20k miles, but that is a different story.) I decided when I was looking for the 400E/E420 w124 cars to only look for a 94 or 95. My reasoning was:
- wiring harness problems on the early 400s
- brake caliper problems on the earliest models
- AC already converted to R134a on the later models
- better headlights on the later models
- fewer 'first model year' problems
- chance for a starmark warranty
- longer life span for airbags ($$$) before replacement
- less wear and tear on the paint, rubber, etc, and lower mileage (probably).
That said, I believe the 92 was a little more powerful and lighter weight than the later ones. I posted a question something like 'best year 400E a year or so ago, and there were a fair number of opinions: "Best" year for a W124 400E
Try searching for 400E or E420 as well for more info. I believe it is also featured under the "cars" tab at the top of the page.
2003 Firemist Red/grey leather SL 500
2015 Palladium Silver/black mbtex GLK 350
1987 Smoke Silver/burgundy mbtex 300E Sportline (SOLD)
Click to see 87 300E