View Single Post
Old 08-16-2001, 09:44 AM
I was in the same boat as you a few months ago, The wife and I are expecting our first child in September, and I was looking for a good, dependable, inexpensive car to replace a Honda(sell it to drop a car payment). I looked a long time and found a nice clean one owner 1986 190e 2.3 for $3000. It had been garaged for its whole life, all service done at the dealer, etc. etc. I know that some people frown on the 190, but in my situation I think(hope) that I found a good one. Besides a few small minor problems, normal for a 15 year old car with 119,000 miles, it has already proven itself to be a good car. In the 2 months that I have owned it, I think I have spent maybe $300 or $400 bringing it up to a like new level, or at least as close as I can get it. IMHO you would be hard pressed to find an American car for that kind of money that would be as dependable as I have found the 190 to be. The above is only my opinion of course, but if you find that you like the 190's, with some patience, you will be able to find a decent model for that kind of money. I am certainly hooked on the Mercedes family now, as soon as we get the other car paid for I will certainly be looking for a newer C or E class car. This board,as you will find, is an invaluable source of information and friendly people willing to help the DIYer. Just my $.02 worth.