View Single Post
Old 03-21-2006, 03:27 PM
Strong, silent type

Misssing sensor help

Greetings:

I would like to hear from some of the experts ont he M103 engine regarding a what appears to be a missing sensor in my 19898 300TE's engine.

I recently took some pictures of the engine bay (see my post in the detailing section) when I noticed an open hole in the place where the "air intake pressure sensor" should be (the Benz manual refers to it as the "air temperature sensor.").

Coincidentally I was looking at pictures of DanWatt's extremely clean engine compartment (for his 300SE) and I noticed that his engine, which is essentially the same as mine, sans the grime does have a sensor attached to the plastic portion of the air intake cowl (leading directly up to the air cleaner).

I then checked the BENZ CD manual for my 300TE and indeed mine issupposed to have one. In fact, the manual states that in older M103 engines, an air temperature sensor MUST BE retrofitted. The CD manual goes on to state that the connectionis built into the engine wiring harness and can be found by looking under the air cleaner.

I have not looked for the connections in mine yet. I will do that this weekend.

What I would like to know is what, in any, effect, the missing sensor may have on engine driveability. MOre specifically, my 300TE has suffered from occasional engine cutting out during coasting. Would the missing sensor have anything to do with it?

I can't now recall when the sensor went missing...all I know is that it isn't there now.

Thank you for all your help.

I have attached pics for you to see what I am referring to. The first is of my 300TE's engine compartment. The second pic is of Danwatt's car (taken from his post in BenzWorld). I tried to do "signs and arrows" but at this point my knowledge of PhotoShop is rudimentary and my teenaage son is at school now and cannot help me.

Now that I see the pics, they are awfully small. Does anyone know how to do attachments as URL's? To show bigger pictures? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Misssing sensor help-airpressureintakesensor300te.jpg   Misssing sensor help-airintakepressuresensor.jpg  

1989 300TE "Alice"
1990 300CE "Sam Spade"
1991 300CE "Beowulf" RIP (06.1991 - 10.10.2007)
1998 E320 "Orson"
2002 C320 Wagon "Molly Fox"

Res non semper sunt quae esse videntur

My Gallery

Not in this weather!

Last edited by BENZ-LGB; 03-21-2006 at 03:33 PM.