View Single Post
Old 03-23-2006, 01:23 AM

My 1985 380SE has a soft and supple ride, but it still has the original shocks at every wheel, but handling is still good. I too can however feel those larger expansion bumps, but only from the front suspension. My front suspension is not as soft as the rear. Probably to most people the ride of my car may be too soft to the point that they may want to change the rear shocks, but they seem fine to me, because I like a softer ride. On the "bounce test" if I press down on my rear bumper, it will rebound a couple of times and stops. On the freeway, the ride can get a bit floaty if you will. It does press down quite a bit though if I put a little weight on the bumper. Front goes down once then rebounds as normal, but it not overly firm.

I have test drove a few W126's in the past and most have felt about the same. The 84' 300SD and 83' 300SD I tested was about the same as my 85' 380SE. I also test drove a 90' 300SEL and while it seemed firmer than my 85' 380SE, it still felt supple - perhaps due to the longer wheelbase. I also test drove an 83' 300D years ago, but I do not recall its ride.

I do not plan on changing any shocks. I do however think I need some front suspension bushings or something, as I occasionally have that front suspension "thunk" over some bumps.

Now talk about a soft riding car - my 1969 Chevrolet Caprice is cloud-like and that is saying a lot, because I have owned a lot of big, American sedans, known for soft and supple rides. Most every bump in the road is not even noticed in my Caprice, especially considering that the interior is still 100%+ squeak and rattle free. It has amazed me. My 73' Pontiac Grand Ville is also pretty cloud-like. My dads 69' Camaro is truck-like though, but he has HD shocks on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donbryce
My '85 380SE has aftermarket 15" light alloys, and I hate the way this car 'bangs' over every hole and bump around town, most of this coming from the front end. All my front end ball joints are less than 5 years old, the shocks are good. Not my idea of a nice riding sedan. OK on the highway, but most heavy cars are.