View Single Post
Old 03-26-2006, 02:29 PM

FS: knocking turbo wagon engine / transmission

I will consider all offers for a badly knocking engine and transmission removed from a 1984 300TD. The assembly is strapped to a pallet and ready to go in Hanover, NH. I have an engine crane and can hoist it into a pickup, etc.

I bought the 300TD last year with 203,000 miles because it has no rust. The engine, however, has a serious knock. I have not taken it apart but am told that the #1 rod bearing is damaged. It is the original engine with serial number 617 952 12 080 075.

Before removing the engine the car would move reluctantly under its own power but the noise was terrible. I could not diagnose the sound beyond confirming that it was not an injector problem.

Included with this engine are all the accessories:

- injector pump (with tamper-free ALDA, as far as I can tell - see picture)
- SLS pump in head
- turbocharger
- oil cooler (still attached)
- water pump, power steering pump, alternator, A/C compressor, cruise control servo
- most engine wiring, hoses, etc.

I removed the arms that mount the engine to the body for another project. I have tried to preserve the vacuum lines as best as possible but broke several during removal. I also broke a cloth/rubber injector line when checking the valve lash.

As for the transmission, I could not find the serial number (where is it?) but the part number is 126 271 22 01 which leads me to believe it is not original. The ATF came out clean and red but I cannot vouch for the transmission's health other than that it shifted into and out of Drive and Reverse quickly.

I am moving soon so would prefer to sell the assembly whole.

Many thanks,

Ted
Attached Thumbnails
FS: knocking turbo wagon engine / transmission-p3260083.jpg   FS: knocking turbo wagon engine / transmission-p3260084.jpg   FS: knocking turbo wagon engine / transmission-p3260085.jpg   FS: knocking turbo wagon engine / transmission-p3260086.jpg   FS: knocking turbo wagon engine / transmission-p3260087.jpg