View Single Post
Old 03-27-2006, 08:48 AM

DIY: 124 Strut and strut mount replacement

I've done this job now 4 times so I thought I'd write this DIY. If anyone sees any errors or parts that need clarification or have any suggestions do post them here. I don't have any photos.

124 Front Strut and strut mount replacement

Disclaimer
I offer no opinion relative to the difficulty of this job. That will depend on experience. Some may think it’s easy while others may think it’s challenging.

The procedure I’ve outlined is what worked for me. Standard safety procedures and precautions, including the use of safety goggles and proper tools and equipment, should be followed at all times to eliminate the possibility of personal injury or improper service which could damage your car or compromise its safety. Always use new fasteners.

Should you find an error in these instructions please let me know so I can correct it.

Tools
A good selection of ratchets, wrenches and sockets in both 3/8" and ½" drive, 7 mm allen wrench, 22 mm box wrench and a spring compressor. The spring compressor is available for rental. http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/tool-rental-program/

I used air tools wherever possible since they make the job easier and much faster.

Torque Specifications
Nut that screws to top of piston rod –80 nm
Strut mount nuts–20 nm
Hex bolts–110 nm
Hex bolt with self locking nut–110 nm (if you car has an M14 x 1.5 bolt then 200 nm)

Parts you need:
strut, strut mount, boot, bump stop. If you buy Bilstein they will come with new hardware. Go ahead and get all the parts out for one side and get them ready for installation. Put bump stop on strut with the curved side of bump stop facing toward the ground. Attach the boot to the strut mount.

Instructions:
--Raise vehicle and remove front wheels.
--Compress coil spring with proper spring compressor. Using a spring compressor can be very dangerous.
--Disconnect wires that attach to plastic piece that attaches to strut. Then remove plastic piece from strut and insert in the new strut.
--Remove nut on top of strut piston and remove the rebound stop and set aside.
--Remove hex head bolts that hold the bottom of strut to steering knuckle
--Unscrew the hex head bolt with the self-locking nut the holds the strut to the steering knuckle. Take the nut off but don’t remove the bolt yet. Attach a piece of wire to the coil spring so when you remove the bolt you can put that wire through the steering knuckle to support it. When you remove that bolt the strut will come out.
-–Remove the old strut mount and install new one with the boot attached, then torque to specification.
--Remove wire and carefully support the steering knuckle while you insert new strut with bumpstop installed. Insert the bolt that uses the self-locking nut to attach the strut to the steering knuckle and screw the nut on but do not tighten it yet.
--Make sure the strut piston rod is lined up and goes through the center of the strut mount.
-–Replace rebound stop and screw nut to rod just to hold it in place, do not tighten.
--Attach the two hex head bolts that hold the strut to the steering knuckle and torque to specification.
--Tighten the hex bolt with the self-locking nut and torque to specification.
--Tighten the nut on the top of strut to piston rod and torque to specification.
--Attach wires to plastic piece mounted on strut.
--Remove spring compressor.
--Follow same procedure for other side.

Last edited by Ron in SC; 03-27-2006 at 01:15 PM.