View Single Post
Old 03-27-2006, 10:51 PM

There are TWO I am tracking right now. Each with completely different symptoms. Both consume oil at least 200 miles to the quart consistently.

One has so much blowby it blew the front crankshaft seal. It has low, low oil pressure (almost 0 at idle, not even .5 bar). It does not start very willingly. It is constantly engulfed by a blue cloud of smoke. The idle throbs, the engine shakes enough to nearly toss itself out of its braces, and is essentially undriveable. DON'T YOU DARE OPEN THE OIL FILLER CAP WHILE THIS THING IS RUNNING. IT WILL SEND THE CAP INTO ORBIT.
It uses about 150 to the quart last time I measured, if I recall correctly.
That one's mine.

The other, I mentioned earlier in the archives, has much more subdued symptoms. Maybe a cracking injector (or rod clanking against the cylinder) at higher rpm. Idle is very smooth, no blowby at all, power is plentiful, a darkish blue haze at idle, and copious amounts of oil at higher revs. At highway speeds, it burns considerably more oil (130 miles to the qt). You'd never know it given how well it runs and how easily it starts.

My 350, the poor running car, is having its head pulled THIS VERY NIGHT! So I will know what to do, and where to go from there.

1986 Porsche 951 (944 Turbo) (166000)

1978 Porsche 924 (99000)

1996 Nissan Pathfinder R50 (201000)