View Single Post
Old 03-30-2006, 05:47 PM

SVO WVO its got to be clear clear, it can have color but no solids

Hello mercedes hawker here. I ran some experiments with wvo last summer. I started with a hotplate and a home made viscosity meter some oil and some petrol diesel. I did not have any problems running unheated oil in concentrations as High as 90% . It was also HOT LIKE FIRE OUTSIDE. I used high quality peanut oil, and a bit of soy. From the restraunt the oil was a light brown, with water and cruchies in the bottom of the cubbies, but you could see through the good stuff at the top. It was settled when I picked it up. But when I got it home I let it settle for a week, suck off the top pour through a coffee filter , let it settle again suck off the top through the coffee filter again ( about $1 apiece) and 15-20 minutes of gravity filtering. Let it settle again, pump it through a 10 micron marine diesel racor filter( filter element $8.00 each). directly into the tank. As I said I ran this unmodified unheated in a '84 normally aspirated benz for about 45 gallons worth (65 gallons from the restraunt, about 20 gallons waste) At the end I was running about 50/50 oil petrol diesel a little over 1000 miles . I never had a problem. I sold the car to a fellow who took it to Washington state. He made it to north Texas, and both fuel filters plugged up ; I had never replaced the filters and The previous owner said they were due when I bought the car. He replaced the filters and had no other problems. I have not heard from him in a while I guess all is well. If fuel prices keep up as they are I am going to get back into the WVO thing. But it was a lot of work .
Has anyone heard of a $1.00/gallon subsidy for oil purchased for biobiesel production. If you could get the subsidy it would make running SVO cost effective NOW. New virgin oil would be the way to go if you can ,Those cruchies and the water were a huge pain.

well just my experiences, trying to save the planet one oil burner at a time

thanks for listening. Any one want to buy a benz?
thanks agian
mercedes hawker