View Single Post
Old 04-01-2006, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit Man X
The head has four valves that appear collapsed as the rockers were sitting beside the valve springs! Each valve is an exhaust side... so there was no compression on that side when trying to burn fuel. Luckily no parts fell down into the crankcase, everything was sitting up top. Is this motor an interference motor?

So, what should I do in this situation? I could get a 560 or Euro 500 motor for about $1000 to drop in there, but it would still need timing chain done almost certainly. Then on the other hand, if I rebuilt the entire top end on the 420, it would be basically new minus some wear on the bottom end. I don't see why I couldn't get 400-500K from a M116/7 with a rebuilt top end. I'd have Metric probably do the heads.

Thoughts/opinions?
Yep. it is an interference design. Sounds like classic chain slip due to broken guide getting in the way. Depending on what you want to spend, and if you want the car to stay original, it can be rebuilt. You may have/probably will have damaged piston crowns, and possibly damaged piston bores. A complete tear-down and inspection will be necessary, before you can really determine the cost of the rebuild, unless you just decide to go for broke and do it all. Piston rods are strong enough that probably no damage there, but not impossible. I've seen reports of valve pieces rattling around on top of piston doing all kinds of damage before the engine shut down, so don't be surprised. I have a picture somewhere of a piston with holes knocked in the crown from the same thing... Guess where the pieces end up?

I foriginality is not a concern, I'd recommend a reman exchange from someone like metric motors... Advertised price for a long block is roughly 5grand US...

Good luck!

"Where is it again that we are going, and why are we in this handbasket"?