Thread: Engine Knock
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2006, 11:17 PM

Thanks Tom. It sounds more like a mechanical knock, rather than the "spark knock" sound. You mentioned low fuel mileage/low power..... Well, that is what is even more puzzling - my car gets excellent gas mileage. I get about 20 MPG in town, which I have heard is exceptional for this car. Also, while not a powerhouse, power is very adequate. It is my understanding that this is not a very high HP engine, especially for a nearly 4000 lb car, so I am guessing that the power of my car is probably not much less than it was when new?

HOWEVER, I do have what sounds like a splutter at idle (from the exhaust), but I cannot feel any roughness from inside the car, or even the engine. I installed new plugs, thinking that was the problem, but it did not. It may need new plug wires. They look original, but I doubt it on a 21 year old car?

My father glanced inside the oil spout on the valve cover when we were changing the oil and while I did not notice, he said - "that lobe on that cam really looks worn". I am guessing that is the problem then huh? I do not mind the knock, I just do not want to know that my engine will soon go out, or wear out even more quickly like this.

Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomguy
Worn cams will definetly make the engine loud - but usually the front of the cams wear before the rears.

86560SEL: Driving with bad cams isnt good in that you'll have worse fuel consumption and less power, and it'll be loud and probably misfire as they wear even more and inhibit proper combustions - I don't know what might happen if the exhaust lobe is worn but the intake isn't, but I don't think catastrophic engine failures is a result. If you DO have a bad cam, start looking around on eBay for them. Hell, I'd settle for a cam from any m116 or m117 with hydraulic studs if I were you. An old 4.5 cam, or a 420 cam may even give you more power?

What type of knock is it - octane knock or mechanical-sounding?