View Single Post
Old 04-13-2006, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchase
Actually I have researched biodiesel and have concluded its really not worth it for me. In your cost per gallon figure you quoted how much did you calculate for the labor costs to source, collect, transport and make the fuel? Did you also include the costs for all the equipment and changes that you may have had to do to your vehicle?

Its cheaper for me in the long run to spend time at the office making money rather than spending time in my back yard trying to make fuel. I think biodiesel is great for people who have a lot of time on their hands and enjoy tinkering. Its also great for those people who want to "save the world" with the lower emissions output of biodiesel fuel. Neither of those scenerios really describe me.

Additionally I have a great deal of respect for my vehicles and am not really comfortable experimenting with them.

I had a 2003 Chevy 3/4 ton, 6 litre, gas. I would have to fill it every 4 days at a cost of $100 tank (I'm in Canada). That is 91 tanks a year or, $9,125 per year. I would have to earn that money and then pay tax on it at %50. That fuel costs me $13,687 per year. I sold the moneypit and bought a diesel Mitsubishi truck that I run on WVO. I need diesel about 4 times PER YEAR!. At $50 a tank (small tank) I spend $200 a year on fuel. I still do everything I need to with the truck, snow plow, trips to the garbage dump etc. Just now with the money I save I can afford a cottage.

Have fun at the office.

Peter