View Single Post
Old 04-14-2006, 10:35 AM
Biodiesel Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchase
Hmmm,

There are no modifications? Why are you putting installing a heater into your tank then? I am aware of the differences of WVO and Biodiesel but honestly consider them the same thing. External heated tanks and fuel switch valves and having to replace the rubber fuel lines are all non factory modifications that have to be performed on vehicles that run that type of fuel. Even vehicles that run straight biodiesel eventually have to have their fuel hoses replaced. Last time I checked replacing factory parts (rubber fuel hoses) with non factory parts (synthetic fuel hoses) is considered a modification.

As for the lazy comment have you ever heard the term "time is money". Its true for a number of people in this world. Additionally not all of us have the ability or desire for that matter to set up a chemical refining plant in our back yard. Some people live in Apartments or have Neighborhood Associations that would not permit such activities. Its good that you have those resources and consider your time to be "free" but everyone's situation is different. I would rather spend time with my family and friends in my time off from work and pay a little extra on my fuel costs. Not everyone considers their time to be free so that $.70 a gallon figure might change a bit depending on who is doing the math. Just for the sake of argument why don't you calculate it again and keep track of your time and use the $5.15 minimum wage to see what biodiesel "really" costs. It would be interesting to see the real numbers.
I'll repeat myself. There are NO vehicle modifications necessary to run biodiesel in your diesel vehicle. Period. So if you had done research, you would know that. Biodiesel in NOT the same as WVO, biodiesel is made from WVO. I do not have a tank heater, or valves or extra plumbing or different fuel filters, and no one else running biodiesel does either.

I already explained my labor costs me nothing to make fuel. My salary does not change by me making my own fuel. It's my hobby that essentially saves me $2000 a year in fuel costs.
'89 Toyota 4x4, needs 2L-T
'78 280Z with L28ET - 12.86@110
Oil Burner Kartel #35

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b1...oD/bioclip.jpg