View Single Post
Old 04-17-2006, 03:32 PM

Brakes and Hard top for 560sl

Hi there. Me again, Ms. Newbie to MB and to this site.

1) Brakes have been squeaking bad on my 3 month old 1986 560sl. Last time brakes were done and it was a major job, calipers and all done was 15k miles ago. It is at a shop now and they say lube it is all it needs. They want $250 to do that on all 4 wheels...is this reasonable and is this normal? I asked if the pads needed replaced and was told no. When do they normally need to be replaced if driving every day in city traffic to and from work?

2) Since I was having a hard time on removing the hard top and it was going to the shop, I thought I would ask them. It would not release in the back. Just about had that top off but it would not come off. I kept playing with the levers to see if it would release. The large lever definitely was working since I heard the release and saw as well as felt it. I really did not notice the smaller lever doing anything in any position. The shop said I needed to replace the clip. Is this normal and what is it exactly? I know when I got the car 3 months ago, the previous owner replaced it. I am at a different shop so figured I would take it back to them on that.

Thank you all for your help!

Ms. Newbie