View Single Post
Old 04-18-2006, 02:59 AM
TEAM MULHOLLAND

MBeige-

Id love to make it to one of the w123 meets. I would have gone to the last one if I had the time... June should work for me. Maybe I will make it to the following meet as well. I might be in your part of the state before June, I'll give u a heads up when im heading down.

As for my detailing techniques... I havent had the need to use an orbital buffer. I bought the car from the original owners in San Diego... in addition to keeping it clean and detailed (waxed monthly) it was also garaged for its life... so the paint was pretty much as it is. I like to use toothbrushes for all sorts of detailing tasks. I used one to remove the light grime buildup in the grain of the MB-tex in some areas that hadnt been regularly cleaned before I bought the car. For the exterior polishing and waxing I have been using Meguairs micro-fiber applicator pads, and Meguairs micro fiber cloths for buffing and using quick detailer. I have also found that Vinegar is the best stuff for windows...
Since having my wheels refinished, I have been using nxt tech wax on them, and wipe them with quick detailer at the end of a day when I have used the car. makes for quick and easy maintenance- keeps them easy to clean and shiny all of the time.
On the rubber window seals, door seals, trunk seals, and any other seal on the car I use 303 Aerospace protectant, which i also use on my MB-Tex and dashboard.
The bumper trim is detailed with Meguiars Hot Shine tire dressing- it is the best product for making the rubber look dark & rich. For tires I use the same stuff, and the NXT tire cleaner every now and then to keep the tires rich in color.
Chrome on bumpers and grille is polished out with a chrome polish I bought that comes in a tube... its German and I cannnot remember the name, but it works wonders.
And of course, the wheel wells and undercarriage are regularly sprayed, sometimes with a dose of simple green to loosen any build up.

Its amazing how easy it can be to keep a car clean once you get every crevice spotless.... all it takes is a wash once a week, 30 minutes of light detailing, and a quick vacuum of the interior. I like to wax it at least once a month though to maintain maximum gloss.

Its great owning a W123 that looks showroom fresh... its not something you see everyday, and its even greater seeing others who like to keep their own w123's in the same kind of shape. Keep up the great work guys!

1995 E420
1992 BMW 525i
1984 300D Turbo sold
1993 Volvo 244 sold
1995 Volvo 944T R.I.P!

"The details are not details. They make the product."
-Charles Eames

www.cbs.nu