View Single Post
Old 04-20-2006, 03:36 PM
Up & Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwitchKitty

Note that WVO may refer to anything someone pumps out of a dumpster. It may be contaminated with any unknown waste. If you put garbage in your fuel tank you will have problems. Use only known quality sources of veg oil.
Exactly.
I think that maybe some folks have either gone the route, or heard of someone else going the route of using bad oil. That, or improper filtering, poor care of stored oil, or they started with a car already on its death-bed. This may be giving them the negative attitude towards all WVO usage. Ambient air temperature is critical. Running on WVO in some climates is a whole different ball game then other climates. It’s not a simple “Yes you can. No you can’t” deal. That’s why giving advice on it is so difficult. What works for me here in N.TX may not (will not) work for someone up north. Even with the same car and same oil. Likewise, what it may or may not do to your motor is probably a whole different set of issues as well.

The gathering of quality oil is the quintessential item in the WVO equation. I use oil from only one source. I know how old it is and what’s in it. I run it through a multiple filter process. I could easily cook with what I put in my tank. Hearing about folks using grill scrapings, animal fats, hydrogenated greases, etc. just gives me the creeps.