View Single Post
Old 04-20-2006, 05:15 PM
OM606.962 177hp 330nm

HTML Code:
I only have a few resturants that use VO and it's a Diner grille, and a chinese take out place. both have animal fats in them. will this not work if it is filtered and seperated well?
trying to get started with WVO... lots to learn
You want the oil to be an amber honey colored(or light maple syrup), no hydrogenation and little animal fats. You could try "winterizing" the oil (cooling it) causing the saturated fats to congeal and using only the liquid portion of the oil that's left. Some people are running heat with blends. Personally I think this could lead to a false sense of security and possible filter clogging. When a 2 tank heated system runs crappy oil they have the assurance of start-ups on dino-diesel, blenders do not. It is possible to have the fats congeal in the fuel system if it gets cold out (if your using crappy oil). That is why a test batch should be mixed and put in a jar outside. Check it for congealing. My WVO stays liquid below 32F. Take the cleanest best smelling oil you can find. Then filter it down to 1 micron and see how it looks. You could go a step futher and mix a blend and let it settle for 2 weeks and see if that helps it clear up. Some guys wash the oil with water. Mixing water in it and shaking it up. Then they either heat it up to force settling or let gravity do it's thing for a couple of weeks. I've never have washed oil myself, but it could be an option, if you got the time,space and patience.
If you don't have good WVO, it's all a crap shoot IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVOtoGO
I’ve learned that the diesel will help induce the formation/separation of the wax from the VO, so next winter I’ll try something else
What problems did you have blending with Diesel? Jet-A is closer to kerosene and would be another good choice(if it's cost is low enough)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVOtoGO
The gathering of quality oil is the quintessential item in the WVO equation. I use oil from only one source. I know how old it is and what’s in it. I run it through a multiple filter process. I could easily cook with what I put in my tank. Hearing about folks using grill scrapings, animal fats, hydrogenated greases, etc. just gives me the creeps.
For Blending, I couldn't agree more!

2006 CLK 500 coupe Capri Blue on Grey (zoom,zoom)
47,000mi

04 VW TDI Passat 80,000mi
(Techno)

How to eliminate oil dependency through market-driven approaches.
“We could cut oil use in half by 2025, and by 2040, oil use could be zero,”

The Sound of Diesel Speed
Ode to MB