View Single Post
Old 05-02-2006, 10:52 PM
Dieselsüchtiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Carlton
Well, I'm going to disagree with all of you.

I can shift the SD anytime I want with my right foot. The transmission is setup just perfectly and it shifts precisely when I want it to shift. However, if, by chance, it lingers in a lower gear too long, I just lift my foot about 1/4" and I've got the next gear.

I will admit that it's reluctant to downshift........so, I do the 4-3 manually when needed. A 3-2 is very rarely needed, but, also can be selected with the shifter.

A properly setup automatic is a dream to drive............who wants to bother with a clutch.......

After reading that, I have to agree. Mine shifts absolutely perfectly anyways and always downshifts if I press the pedal most of the way down. (its very responsive) I can come around a corner at 20-25mph and drop from 4-3 then 3-2 in no time, and then it rears up and roars forward with tons of torque and boost! Very thrilling and addicting. I'll stick with my auto, it rocks. 237k so far and its shifting perfectly firm and no slipping. (synthetic fluid) I'm curious how far I'll be able to get out of it. When the dealer redid all the internal seals 2 years ago at 213k they said it "looked great" inside still with lots of life left. guess the previous owner was gentle/cared for it!
'09 Sprinter 3500 Winnebago View - 62k (OC - 67k)
'13 ML350 Bluetec - 95k - dad's (OC-98k)
'01 SL500 - 103k(km) - dad's (OC-110,000km)
'16 E400 4matic Sedan - 148k - Brothers (OC-155k)