View Single Post
Old 05-06-2006, 11:16 AM

Guess I will try to answer a couple of questions after some thought.

As I mentioned the adjustment of the pump seems to be so fine that a long leverage bar may or may not allow the incremental movements required by this system.

As for going off of the first glow plug that is OK if you know your injector is popping off at factory recommended values.
By using the reading from all plugs simultaneously it will give an average value of all injectors and cylinders combined.
In other words a more accurate result on older engines.
Also do not forget you are doing a dynamic test with the engine running.
This has to be better than the static mechanical test.
You are also tunning for the absolute power peak.

My next concern is if that is also the best fuel economy point with this procedure, if not perhaps the timing may have to be set a little before the absolute peak on the retard side.

Since my accumulated mileage is only 75 miles on my old Jetta I have no way of estimating fuel consumption yet.
The thought is that most 123 owners especially 240d owners will want the peak setting versus the highest possible mileage setting.
If the two settings coincide it would be great but life being what it is may not be so.
Forget engine sound at idle as well.
This system is so fine you will not notice any difference with the idle after you get close to the final point.

As for the gentleman that asked the function of the dissimilar metals in the plug that generates higher voltage with more heat.
I really do not know exactly how the glow plug is acting a little like a thermocouple exactly.
Also still have some questions why some read higher that others.
But at this early stage do not feel it is of any recognizable importance.

Just too early yet to make any absolute conclusions about anything.
Interest will only build once it is proven totally to be of benefit to 123 diesel engines.

There is not too much doubt today in my mind that it is a good and workable procedure for the older 1.6 Volkswagen diesels.
All brands of indirect type diesel engines with glow plugs will probably respond in the same fashion.

This is also a simple procedure that is well within most site members ability to preform.
That was one thing that I was really thinking about before getting into it awhile ago.
Plus as long as you take a pin punch and mark the pump flange and the pump mount flange so you can always go back to those marks I felt it almost foolproof.

As I stated if the procedures to use the glow plugs in many ways as a service tool providing all the initial responses are positive.

It will still take a year or so for acceptance and I personally know that many questions and issues will arise in many peoples minds as this is explored.

If you want your car to perform to it's maximum ability do you really have any other choice other than trying to set the pump and fine tune it many times by driving and adjusting many times and still you might miss the sweet spot.

The factory drip or well up position will in 9 out of 10 cases not be the best pump timing position on older engines in my opinion.
The factory position will be okay probably but just not the optimum possible position.

Just keep an open mind as there may still be a downside that arises yet.
Well back to the beach as have gathered up the last of what I need for the repair out there.

Last edited by whunter; 03-18-2013 at 11:03 PM. Reason: spelling and readability