View Single Post
Old 05-06-2006, 02:49 PM

Update

Damn, that's some nasty rust! I was wondering where this thread went and it turned out it got moved from the diesel discussion to the rust repair section. Makes sense. Anyway I figured after a long time and finally getting the structural repairs completed last night I should update this thread.

As you can see on the attached pictures after painstakingly peeling off all the undercoating and interior insulation in that area (basically along the whole rear seat edge from left to right, including above the driveshaft) I used silver POR15 paint, followed by black POR15 patch (the thick paste stuff) as a second coat and to fill in minor holes, followed by the POR15 Epoxy Putty to fill in the larger holes. Later on I got some sheet metal from Lowes and with some more Epoxy as the base I bolted it in to provide reinforcement to the rear suspension trailing brackets should the original two bolts break loose. It's not a pretty repair and I'm still going to paint the Epoxy black from the bottom, but I think it's pretty functional. I was amazed how much rust I actually found. This is a southern car and in pristine condition, but look how much damage a little interior leak and old undercoating can do if left unchecked. Don't let these old Benzes rust away!
Attached Thumbnails
The consequences of interior water leaks-240d_driver_side_top.jpg   The consequences of interior water leaks-240d_passenger_side_top.jpg   The consequences of interior water leaks-240d_driver_side_bottom.jpg   The consequences of interior water leaks-240d_passenger_side_bottom.jpg  

Past MB's: '96 E300D, '83 240D, '82 300D, '87 300D, '87 420SEL