View Single Post
Old 05-07-2006, 05:13 PM

Barry,

I have been reading your threads for a while now and have tinkered with this operation and now have some questions.

If you dont remember I was the second individual who had fooled with the fuel elements (because the rubber o-r ring was leaking). I had moved the first and second elements on a five cylinder.

I finally got a good enough mulitester that can accuratley read mV to a .1 level, so I attempted the operation today. After the car was fully warmed up i measured all glow plugs (disconnected from the wiring of course) and the readings were about 12.3 mV for the # 3,4, & 5 injectors. #1 was about 10.8 and #2 was about 11.6. The problem I had was that in taking these readings the numbers were jumping around everywhere and the measurements I took were (what you would have called) "floating". I noticed that by twisting the elements clockwise the the voltage for the respective glowplug would go up. But here is the problem.....I noticed that if I would raise the volatage for the #1 cylinder, the voltage for #3 would go down. I believe it started throwing off other cylinders as well.

My thinking is that this is the result of the Inj. Pump. is not being properly timed to the engine. Should I do this first before i retry the mV method? I got horribly frustrated today in my attempt. I dont have a drip tube, but I thought I might use this method: http://diymbrepair.com/easley/iptiming.htm

Also I should be recieving a new rack damp. pin tomorrow or the day after. should Install this before I attempt all of this or will it affect it at all.

Thanks for all your help barry