View Single Post
Old 05-08-2006, 08:04 PM

Hi Kerry,
You may have seen a post from me in other parts of the forum, but I thought I'd offer a little info.
We've had our Motoroam RV with the OM314 for about 2 months. Its a 1975 vintage. It has the Allison 5 on the floor. Odometer shows about 128K miles.
I guess the RV body is fairly heavy, and the 85 HP motor is obviously pretty weak, but we're adjusting to it. We have been doing "test" runs once or twice a week, going a little farther each time, gaining confidence and learning the many details involved in a motorhome.
Anything over 45 MPH is "fast" for this rig-- although we can reach 60 MPH on interstate (with lots of flat run to work up speed). Things are squirrely at that speed!
No scientific data, but mileage seems to be very good. ( I haven't quite figured how the single fuel gauge sees the twin tanks (21.5 gals each).
We don't plan long trips in hilly country- this rig is to get us from low ground to high ground ahead of hurricane tides.
Although... first gear seems capable of (slowly) climbing pretty steep grades).

One final comment- Everyone that rides with us has a great time! It's like some kind of carnival ride to them, not to mention the 8-track stereo with 4 Craig speakers -- yup, shag carpet, etc. Everything but a disco ball

Cheers...
http://groups.msn.com/MR-RV/shoebox.msnw