View Single Post
Old 05-09-2006, 11:16 AM

On the last two posts I already agree other than I am starting to suspect the optimum position is a little advanced over the factory recommended one.

This I thought might be because of aging of certain components to some extent.
Or perhaps because of todays fuel.

Brian's thought is good as well or perhaps Mercedes engineering just decided on an arbitrary broad production value. But one thing is certain if you reflect upon it.

The manufactures that are using Milli volts as a production tool to set up new engines must have covered this area and went with it as a preferred method for some reason.

At first I also thought it should duplicate the factory setting but now even wonder if that is a good thought or not.
The answers probably are going to become evident as more and more cars are done.

First downside is my clutch did not appreciate the boost in power.
The equation so far is quick timing change versus four hours for me to replace clutch when I get to it. .
The clutch is not totally gone yet but is showing symptoms of not liking the additional power.
There is also some hang up or feeling that the original timing marks are written in stone.

At the time these engines were made the engineers had no way of allowing for aging or tolerance differences so they would have been forced to strike a timing position that was a compromise even for new engines mind what the majority of us drive.

Anyways glad to see you keeping an open mind.
It's pretty lonely here.
I am not seeing any evidence that the engine is advanced too far.
Not even the slightest trace.

Will try to do two more Volkswagens this evening and post back.

Brian if you decide to try it out make sure you add the two minor electronic parts to your meter.
The hunting meter would have driven me crazy if I was not already there.
Just pin punch so you can get back to your original marks as well.
Thats primarily for mental security and ease of finding your factory position.
Make the marks good as you will probably never be going back.

It will be a constant reminder also of why in He** you ever had the pump timed there in the first place whenever you notice the marks.

At this point I should post that I will not accept responsibility for doors blown off or transmissions parts littering the road.
Neither am I accountable for less frequent fuel stops.
Sorry, just gotta have a little fun.

Now seriously, what is the downside Brian.
You find out your present timing you fairly recently set is valid for your individual engine? Even if thats all thats accomplished it is an indicator itself of what bonehead is curious about to some extent.

Ever wonder why a spread of about 5 mpg is reported by various 123 and 126 owners?
Very few also describe power and acceleration correctly but we all realize some cars of the same type are quite a bit quicker than others.

As for the higher than average mileage figures most of us put the reports off to not doing a valid procedure to verify it properly or wishful thinking.
Some 240d owners quote 30+ while the majority of us think about 25 mpg for most examples of 240ds.
I am not referring to ebay ads either or the figure would be 40+.
Could that be the pumps are set at factory marks where the higher mileage ones had the pumps safely advanced by knowledgeable mechanics?
Is it not about time we found out?
The best way to help this site grow is to explore these things in a productive fashion.

Speaking for myself I have mastered the glow plug circuit I think and want to move on.
No that last statement is completely wrong!
I am still stuck there for awhile yet it appears.

Last edited by whunter; 03-19-2013 at 12:06 AM. Reason: spelling and readability